If you are interested in volunteering, we can design a schedule that suits you.
Please contact Lynsey Allie, 540-982-5465 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gift Shop
- Admissions Desk
- Gallery Docent
- Special Events
- Collections Assistance
Opportunities are available for various days and shifts. Typical shifts are 3.5-4 hours.
The Historical Society has an exciting project to digitize collections and make them available online. Volunteers are needed for either computer or non-computer tasks. Training is provided, the time for which varies with the assignment chosen and the prior experience of the volunteer. Some volunteers work from home on certain projects.
Sampling of Current Needs
- Tour guides
- Gift shop staffing
- History lovers to assist with organizing, abstracting and transcribing old documents
- Detectives and puzzle-solvers to study old photographs, make missing identifications and add corrections to the digital project
- Would-be museum curators to help design Virtual Exhibits (online versions of museum exhibits)
- Helpful people to answer queries from the public (minimal research involved)
- Camera buffs, train lovers and visual image people to clean and organize Roanoke Times negatives or record Link’s photographs and archives, or work with our educator on programs