2017 Journal coming in December!
The 2017 HSWV Journal promises to be good winter reading, especially an in-depth look at the influence of Virginia’s western counties on the making of America by Blacksburg historian Jim Glanville.
- Poplar Forest archeologist Jack Gary tells of a 2.2-mile new entrance to the Bedford County mansion, and Cranston Williams, retired newspaper executive, recalls his boyhood living the mansion.
- Roanoke Social Studies teacher John Wiley discusses the role of the late Mayor Noel Taylor and African-American churches in the civil rights movement.
- Buildings come alive in a 1913 Roanoke Times reprint describing the now-vacant National Exchange Bank building; the architecture of Roanoke’s 101-year-old City Hall is explored through details from an Historic American Building Survey, and veteran rail historians James Cosby and Skip Salmon look at the newly-restored 1909 Virginia Railway station on South Jefferson Street.
- Journal Editor George Kegley writes about the “Seven Hills” homes built in the 1700s in Rockbridge County and also introduces some of the Virginia Tech veterans of World War.
Every issue of the Journal includes our motto, Amor montium nos movet: “The love of the mountains inspires us.”
The journal is published as a benefit of Historical Society membership, but also can be purchased through the museum’s gift shop for $10 an issue. Back issues can be requested for purchase or specific articles can be requested.
Ben Bane Dulaney edited the Journal from the first issue in the summer of 1964 until his death November 2, 1967. Dulaney was public relations director of the Norfolk & Western Railway. George Kegley (president of the Historical Society 1963-1966) was appointed to succeed him and has continued to serve as its indefatigable editor. Kegley has authored a dozen signed articles in the Journal and numerous notes.
The Journal of the Roanoke Historical Society added the word “Valley” to its name on February 15, 1972, when the Historical Society changed its name to the Roanoke Valley Historical Society. In 1997, the Historical Society again changed its name, to the History Museum and Historical Society of Western Virginia, and the Journal became the Journal of the History Museum and Historical Society of Western Virginia with publication of the 1999 Journal. With publication of the 2006-2007 issue, the Journal became the Journal of the Historical Society of Western Virginia.
The Kegley Publication Fund was established with the Foundation for Roanoke Valley in memory of F.B. Kegley of Wythe County, author of Kegley’s Virginia Frontier. Kegley Publications is an operating division of the Historical Society of Western Virginia and publishes books about local and regional history.
Kegley sells its publications at wholesale and these rates vary. Minimum wholesale quantity is five per publication. Please contact us directly for wholesale pricing by calling 540.982-5465 or e-mail
In order to purchase individual copies of any book or Journal, please contact the Historical Society of Western Virginia 540-982-5465 or e-mail
If you are a retailer and would like to order journals or books at a wholesale rate, please contact the Historical Society of Western Virginia 540-982-5465 or e-mail